Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rink Williams' Oral History

Today was a very productive first day of the week for me. I got Rink Williams' section online on VoiceThread.com today. Rink was in the sheep business starting in the 1950s and when he was interviewed by Miriam Breckenridge in the late 1970s he had a very good handle of the business. He has an interesting perspective on the business and politics of the early Wood River Valley.

Starting today and continuing tomorrow I will be working on Robert and Carol Elliott's oral history with Miriam. I'll keep everyone posted through Twitter, Facebook, and here on the blog. Here is another photo for today. Sorry I wasn't able to post one yesterday due to time constraints.


I run into all sorts of audio problems everyday when I am working with these oral histories. I had a problem today with the Elliott's stereo recording where the stereo would fade in and out. Stereo has two audio tracks, one for the left speaker and one for the right speaker. The issue had the right and left speaker fading out interchangeably. This is a very difficult issue to fix because just combining the two tracks into one and splitting that track into two duplicated tracks just makes both the speakers fade out half as much. I'm going to have to research this issue further.

The other audio problem I have been having off and on is a problem with audio that has the ghost of an audio track over the top of it. I'm not sure if this was a technical issue with the recording equipment or an issue when the recording was moved to the CDs that we have in our collection. In any case, this issue needs to be carefully edited around and sometimes there is just nothing that I can do to save the intended audio track and sections just have to be avoided.

Thanks for stopping in today. Have a great week and keep checking in daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment